The PhD Program in Biomedical Sciences and Translational Medicine has been established by the Department of Molecular and Translational Medicine
Coordinator: Prof.ssa Mariacristina Missale
The mission of the PhD program in Biomedical Sciences and Translational Medicine is to promote interdisciplinary training and education in the fields of neuroscience, immunology, oncology, pharmacology and microbiology with the aim of producing new knowledge on molecular and cellular physiopathology of human diseases and of potentiating the transfer of the new knowledge to medical sciences especially in the fields of diagnosis and therapy.
Young Researchers and Professionals are educated and trained in three curriculum:
Oncology and Immunology
Pharmacology and Microbiology
The main objective of this PhD are:
1) to promote a strong integration and reciprocal validation between basic and applied research;
2) to promote an interdisciplinary approach to the proposed research activities;
3) to prepare students to be faced with the new technological developments.
The PhD program offers:
1) High impact research projects in the various areas of neuroscience, immunology, oncology, pharmacology and microbiology (see thematic areas).
2) Advanced technological facilities to learn and use cutting-edge technologies including facility for in vitro and in vivo imaging, facility for genomics equipped with Next Generation Sequencing (NGS), facility for proteomics, Zebrafish facility, in vitro and in vivo RNA silencing facility.
3) Qualified Clinical Institutes in neurology, psychiatry, neurosurgery, neuroradiology, oncology, cardiology, pathological anatomy, ophthalmology, neuroendocrinology and otorhinolaryngology.
4) Courses and seminars of general interest common to all curriculum, courses and seminars specific for each curriculum. Interactive tutorial activities as Journal Club and Progress Reports.
5) Research stages in qualified Research Centres in Italy or in other Countries.
TEACHING AND RESEARCH ACTIVITY
The teaching and research training period is three years and is organized in credits (CFU). Students should obtain at least 60 CFU/year.
RESEARCH TRAINING ACTIVITIES
Research activity is specific for each curriculum and includes:
Research on a specific project under the supervision of a tutor
Participation in seminars and lectures given in the subject area. Seminars are organized by the Department of Molecular and Translational Medicine and by other Departments whose reserachers and professors belongs to the Teacher Committee and are given by experts in the field
Students actively participate in Journal Clubs organized by the Research Group.
Progress reports on research activity
Students are required to periodically report on their research activty to their research group. At the end of each year students are required to present the results of their research activity to the Teacher Committee.
Participation in technical workshops or courses
Oral or poster presentations at national and international meetings
Students should be the lead authors of the paper presented
Research Stages in Qualified Reserach Centers in Italy or other Countries
Students should spend a period in a qualified Research Center in Italy or abroad. The maximum allowed stay abroad is 18 months
Publication of papers in high-impact scientific journals
Expected employment and professional opportunities
The objective of the PhD Program is to form new Professionals with special skills:
a) in the study of molecular physiopathology of diseases by using technologically advanced experimental approaches both in in vitro and in vivo models;
b) in the transfer of the results of basic research to clinical research especially in the fields of diagnostic and therapy.
The PhD program is designed to prepare students for careers in basic, medical and pharmacological research in the academia, in research institutes, in private and public health institutions, in drug and biotechnology companies and in public and private centres for molecular diagnostics.
Students are enrolled in one of the curriculum and are involved in a specific research project, are trained to develop specific technological skills, are exposed to a multidisciplinary environment do develop the critical skills necessary for a successful professional activity.
The PhD Programme is a III level study programme open to holders of II level degrees (Master of Science degree or similar academic qualification awarded abroad and considered equivalent in terms of duration, level and field of study).
Upon conclusion of the educational and research prospectus, after passing the final exam, the title of Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) is awarded.
The Call for Admission of the A.Y. 2021/2022 is now open!
Deadline: 4th August, 2021 at 2:00pm (italian time)
Members of the Scientific Board
Teaching and research activities, courses and seminars
Curricula and research themes
Look into each Curricula composing the academic offer for the PhD program in Biomedical Sciences and Translational Medicine
Via S. Faustino 74/b