Recognition for course accreditation

Italian universities are appointed to evaluate foreign qualifications for the purpose of obtaining Italian academic degrees upon partial accreditation of the foreign course.
The assessing academic board is the Committee managing the selected study programme.
The assessment may result in partial accreditation of the foreign degree, i.e. candidates are allowed to enroll in the Italian course with validation of some exams passed abroad, to carry on their studies taking the missing exams and finally to achieve the Italian degree, according to the provisions set in Students' regulations and in Teaching regulations of the study programme

Italian study programmes with national or local restricted access
For Corsi di laurea (bachelor's degrees), Corsi di laurea magistrale (master's degree) and Corsi di laurea magistrale a ciclo unico (integrated master’s degrees) with restricted access on national basis (Medicine and surgery and School of dentistry) or local basis (Pharmacy, Health Professions area, Biotechnology, Medical biotechnology, Architectural Engineering, Exercise and sport sciences, Sciences and techniques of preventive and adapted physical activities) only those who have passed the provided selective admission test can apply for recognition of their foreign qualification. They have to register for the test according to the procedures and within the deadlines indicated in the competition call issued yearly.  

Free admission Italian study programmes
Passing an admission test is not required for Corsi di laurea (bachelor's degrees), Corsi di laurea magistrale (master's degree) and Corsi di laurea magistrale a ciclo unico (integrated master’s degrees)  with free admission.

Requirements of foreign qualifications

Recognition requests for course accreditation are accepted only if the foreign academic degree is comparable with one of the degrees offered at University of Brescia.

The foreign degree
- must have been issued by universities or by post-secondary upper education institutions officially recognized in the local education system
- must allow access university studies at the level comparable to the Second cycle QF-EHEA / 7° EQF level or Third cycle QF-EHEA / 8° EQF level, within the education system that issued the qualification.

Admission to the university is only permitted if the documentation certifying possession of the degree is valid, as required by current regulations and the specific provisions of the Ministry of University and Research.

Italian language proficiency

In the event that recognition is requested in relation to a study programme offered in Italian language, non-EU citizens residing abroad must  prove their Italian proficiency at B2 CEFR level, as indicated in the annual provisions of the Ministry of University and Research: a certificate of level B2 or higher issued as part of the CLIQ quality system is required. In the event that this certificate has not been obtained, the applicant must successfully undertake an Italian language test, which is held every year at the University .

Knowledge of the Italian language is not required for admission to master's degree courses taught in English.      

English language proficiency

If the recognition for course accreditation refers to a Corso di laurea magistrale (master's degree) in Economics, Engineering and Law areas, also proficiency in English language to at least level B1 CEFR (Common european framework of reference for languages) is required. Instead of the official certification of English language proficiency, study programmes can accept candidates who attended their educational pathway in English or passed English language examinations during their academic studies. Detailed information are provided in the Teaching Regulations that can be viewed in the web page dedicated to the study programme.


Italian and EU citizens, along with non-EU citizens living in Italy with a regular permit may submit their request with attached documents to University offices.

Non-EU citizens living abroad have instead to apply for study visa via Universitaly portal, according to the provisions issued yearly by Italian Ministry of University and Research. Once in Italy, candidates will submit the application together with the required documents to the University offices.

The application for recognition must be submitted to the Career management office of the area to which the Italian study programme belongs. Appointments are compulsory and should be made online:

Documents referring to the foreign degree to be submitted

The following documents must be submitted along with the application:

  1. The original diploma and the transcript of records in a foreign language, referring to the degree or post-secondary education must be accompanied by the official translation in Italian or English: those concerned can contact local translators and must request certification of the translation's compliance from the territory's official Italian Representation. 
  2. The original diploma and the transcript of records must also be legalized or carry the Apostille stamp and must be accompanied by the Declaration of value issued by the official Italian Representation in the country relevant to the attended education system.
  3. The detailed programmes of the exams taken (Syllabus) must bear the foreign University stamp and they have to be translated in Italian or English, too.

Any other documents in a foreign language must be translated into Italian or English.

Instead of Legalization and Declaration of value our university accepts respectively the Statement of verification and the Statement of comparability issued by CIMEA.

Last updated on: 06/06/2023